Saturday, January 21, 2012

Cross My Heart Book Review

Cross My HeartCross My Heart by Sasha Gould

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Laura thinks that she is being rescued from her monontonous life at the convent when her father summons her back home. She is shocked to hear that her beloved olders sister is dead and that Laura is now expected to marry her sister's much older and lecherous fiance to save the family's fortune. Laura is invited to join Venice's secret society of women with the promise that The Segreta will keep the marriage from happening. But, Laura soon learns that she can trust no one.

I was really looking forward to this. Lately, I've been drawn to historical novels that showcase strong women and I thought this would fit the bill. I flew through the first half, wondering how Laura was going to get out of her marriage and how her sister really died. But, then the story became way too much of a soap opera for me: people weren't who they said they were, people came back from the dead and others just went insane. It was a little too dramatic for 250 pages.

Release Date: March 13, 2012
Publisher: Delacorte Press, an imprint of Random House Children's Books
Grade Level: 9 - 12
Format: Advanced Reader's Copy
Source: Baker and Taylor
Challenge: 2012 Debut Author Challenge



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment